The Child Thief

The Child Thief - Brom

The Child Thief  is a dark, modern retelling of Peter Pan with a bit of Celtic mythology thrown in, and it’s amazing. As with anything, it has a few faults, but I liked the rest of it so much that I can’t even remember them. It’s always so much easier to write a review about a book I don’t like, so this is going to be very difficult for me.

I’m a sucker for fairy tale retellings, especially when they’re completely different from the Disney versions I grew up watching. One of my favorite things to do after I read a book like this is check reviews on Goodreads. I think the amount of people who write angry reviews because the retelling isn’t as fluffy as the Disney version is hilarious. Is that mean? It probably is. Oh well.

In Brom’s version of the story, Peter (Pan) enters our world to lure abused and troubled children into Avalon, a magical land in which he promises there are many adventures to be had. Peter’s stolen children are called “Devils,” and they don’t quite have the fun times Peter promised. Instead, they’re forced to become warriors because Avalon it isn’t a lush paradise; it’s a terrible place where a violent war has been waging for many years.

I was never really a fan of the Peter Pan story as I heard/watched it growing up, but this book has changed opinion. It was very well written and there was never a dull moment. I loved it and I can't wait to read more of Brom's work.