The Luxe Series

Splendor - Anna Godbersen

***THERE IS A SPOILER FOR THE FIRST (AND MAYBE SECOND) BOOK IN THIS REVIEW, BUT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST BOOK YET YOU SHOULDN'T BE READING REVIEWS FOR THE LAST BOOK ANYWAY. DUH.***

I reviewed the first book in this series back in February but I’ve decided to lump the rest of the books into one post because the series is one continuous story, and I read them months ago so I can’t remember where the story ends and begins for each book.

I feel like anything I say about this series could cause some major spoiler issues because there’s a twist in the first book that changes the story and adds a new character or two to the mix. I don't have any followers so they don't care, but… what if some teenage girl hasn’t read the first book yet and decided to Google the series to see what it’s about and happens upon my blog and accidentally reads that Elizabeth isn’t actually dead?

Oops. Okay, so maybe I can spoil it. Just this once.

Alright. Elizabeth faked her death in the first book so she could be with her beloved Will, who is basically a servant to her family. They head out Californy-way together, leaving her family to cluelessly mourn the loss of their beloved daughter/sister/niece. While Elizabeth is off making out with Will in California’s sprawling meadows, her former bestie Penelope blackmails Elizabeth’s former fiancé Henry into marrying her despite his true love for Elizabeth’s younger sister Diana. Just look at the mess Elizabeth has left behind!

The story follows that mess until it’s so ridiculous you just want to punch a face. In the fourth book, behind the petty drama I’d grown tired of, a mystery began to unfold. As it turns out, Elizabeth and Diana’s father didn’t simply die back when he died… he was murdered. But by who? And why? When all was revealed, I wasn’t at all surprised. I'd had it figured out for a long time, but it was still interesting. I almost wish I could have read a book based solely on that part of the story.

Aside from that mystery, I also really liked was the end of book 4. Not because I was finally done with the series (though that was a nice bonus), but because it wasn’t a “happily ever after” ending. I was convinced that no matter what happened, the good people would end up together and the bad people would end up suffering for being, you know, bad. But I was wrong. Things went quite differently for some characters, and though it seems that everyone was actually at least a little happy in the end, it wasn’t the cookie-cutter ending I expected. It was a nice surprise in an otherwise boring soap opera of a series.

Source: http://bookishbean.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/the-luxe-series-anna-godbersen