The Marbury Lens

The Marbury Lens - Andrew Smith This book is not for me. I read the whole thing, hoping it would get better, or that there would be a single part of the book I enjoyed, but neither of those things happened.

I didn't like any of the characters. I could understand Jack being messed up after his encounter with Freddie, but honestly, Jack was a whiny bitch from the beginning. His best friend, Connor, is a complete asshole, and it seems like the only thing he does for half the book is call Jack gay because he's a virgin, or because they fell asleep next to each other on a bed. Or because Jack won't join in on the sex Connor is having with his girlfriend (what the? Is it normal for guys who are best friends to participate in a threesome together?). The way it was written, like it was a bad thing, an accusation, an insult, "you're so gay!", made the whole thing seem very homophobic. I know a lot of other readers have mentioned it in their reviews, but it's worth mentioning again because it really distracted me from the story itself.

Which, by the way, I didn't care for either. Life for Jack and Connor in London consisted of beer and two girls (who were, of course, the hottest chicks in the world, duh) that they met and fell in love with three days later. It was boring, but I was okay with that because life in Marbury was supposed to be where all the excitement as action was. Much to my disappointment, Jack's adventures in Marbury were just as boring as his adventures in London. Sure, Marbury had an alternate version of everyone in the real world and giant ghost-eating bugs, but even that wasn't enough to make it a mildly interesting place.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Not for me.